Saturday, November 5, 2011

Four days in, and it's still NaNoWriMo!


Rork pinched his cheek to make sure that he wasn't dreaming and expected to feel the tug of sentience pull him back into a morning grog, but nothing came. Instead, there was the Grand Wizard in front of him, looking at him, almost as though he expected an answer out of him at that moment.

Awkwardly swallowing the lump that was quickly growing in his throat, Rork somehow squeaked out a timid “Me?” pointing at himself as though saying the word wasn't enough. The Grand Wizard just let out a short chuckle and nodded his head, adding extra praise and adulation for the great works that he had just witnessed being performed by Rork. Puffed up by flattery, and feeling quite sure of himself, Rork had no problem acquiescing to this once in a lifetime opportunity. “Of course I'd love to not be your pupil.”

The smiles quickly faded on both his and the Grand Wizard's faces as they realized the words that sprung from his mouth.

Back pedaling furiously, Rork tried again, “I mean, I'd absolutely hate being your pupil.” Rork slapped his hand across his mouth. The Grand Wizard immediately started chuckling, which grew into a laugh, which crescendo-ed into a loud guffaw.

“You really should have seen your face,” came the Grand Wizard's words, followed closely by more laughs, snorts, and a little snot dripping onto his white mustache.

Rork, just plain confused now, looked up with a perplexed look upon his face.

With a circular motion, the Grand Wizard muttered a few words under his breath, making Rork's thoughts much crisper and more able to be managed, then said “I put a small hex on you, it was a mixture of both dark magic and life magic, making you unable to say exactly what you wanted to say. I'm sorry, I really couldn't resist. It's also a small initiation tradition for becoming the pupil of the Grand Wizard, I went through it when I became the pupil of the Grand Wizard before me.” Tears were still threatening to roll down his cheeks as he continued, “Now, you should be able to think and speak just fine, remember this, for one day I'm sure you'll be passing it on to whomever you decide to bring up in our ways. I'm actually very excited for this moment, for you are the first I've seen in my search for a pupil who has actually had the right stuff for the position, and I have seen quite a few good wizards, some of them able to use their element at a higher level than you, which is no small feat.

“However,” the joy on his face seemed to dampen slightly with his next statement, “their practice of magic was not of the quality that I sought.” A small frown seemed to build on the corners of the the Grand Wizards mouth, but he stopped it there, instead forcing a smile to reappear just as quickly as it had gone. “And now, I must leave to make preparation for you. You will be accompanying me now, at least on ninety percent of my expeditions, so I may teach you both by instruction and example.” And with that, he took a step away and disappeared in a flash of light which left behind traces of smoke.

Chapter 4

“The guy is bonkers if you ask me,” came Donnie's usual dry remark. “I mean, he put a hex on you? Isn't that illegal?”

“Maybe, but he did save all the professors from the tree falling on them, and he saved professor Turan, so I don't think he's as crazy as he lets on.” Rork replied, trying to sound confident.

“I think I have to agree with Donnie,” came Akara's voice from behind the book which was open on the table in front of where she was resting her head. Her hair shone brilliantly as the light was allowed to hit it again as she closed the book and placed it squarely on the library table. “His actions do seem a little,” she hesitated for a moment, her face twisting as she looked for the right word.

“Silly?” Donnie recommended.

“I suppose that works, but I really don't like it when you fill in my words for me; I completely lose my train of thought.”

“Probably because you're so busy telling me that you don't like me filling in your words.” Rork couldn't help but let out a tiny burst of air despite his best efforts to hold in his laughter. He knew of what Akara was capable when she was upset at them.

And that's when the smack came.

“Don't encourage him,” her voice sounded as though she were hurt, but he knew she was just trying to not let them gang up on her.

Rubbing his arm even though it wasn't sore, he defended his position, “I just don't think that it's really a good idea to pass up this opportunity. I mean, he's the Grand Wizard for crying out loud. He hexed me and I didn't even know it.”

“Yeah, but I also remember two years ago when you tried to put a love hex on me,” Akara paused for dramatic effect, “and it backfired, making you fall in love with professor Onkle for a whole week. You weren't very aware of that either.”

“Yeah, I don't know why it was him, you really could have done better, Rork. He is a little on the, well, larger side of the scale.” Donnie puffed out his cheeks and circled his arms out in front of him, moving from side to side, attempting to imitate the waddle of Professor Onkle.

“Well, it's my decision, and I'm going with it, and that's that, you guys really have no say in the matter.” Rork let his frustration show in his tone of voice as he crossed his arms.

“Sorry, Rork, we just want to make sure that you're not jumping into a bad thing is all, we really are happy for you.” Donnie was surprisingly understanding when confronted solemnly, despite his constant comedy act which he enjoyed doing, that was why he and Rork had grown so close; Rork could actually stand to be around that humor ninety five percent of the time, and Donnie got plenty of chances to practice his one-liners. “Right Akara? We're happy for him.” Donnie moved the spotlight to Akara, trying to take some of the heat off of him.

“Of course we are, Rork,” Akara tried to sound comforting, which was unusual for her, “but like Donnie said, we really don't want you getting into something that's over your head. He dose seem a little on the loopy side.”

“Maybe that's what happens when you can control all the elements, it's like hearing other voices besides your own in your head.” Off went Donnie again.

“Alright, enough is enough!” Rork was done being their humor pin cushion. “I'm going, end of subject.” Trying to quickly move to another topic, he continued, “Donnie, how was your final?”

Taken somewhat by surprise, Donnie was shockingly quiet for an entire ten seconds before replying with a lowered chin, “I didn't pass.” He looked away as he finished.

“What? How is that possible?” Rork asked, “You actually went to all your classes, and you studied your butt off for that test, I saw you leave it on the library chair on several occasions.”

Akara's lips curled upward slightly at the thought of Donnie's butt being left behind.

Donnie, however, was unmoved. “Well, it apparently wasn't enough.”

“What did they want you to do? It couldn't have been too difficult, especially on your day of strength.”

“They wanted me to form several swords out of a small lump of iron. Nothing as difficult as what they made you do, but I guess that's to be expected from the next Grand Wizard.” Donnie evidently wasn't concerned about hiding the disgust in his voice, which hurt Rork immensely.

“It's not like I wanted them to make things more difficult for me. I barely made it out by the skin on my teeth, and there's not much there in case you haven't seen them for awhile, these past couple of weeks have been pretty hectic. I haven't really had a lot about which I could smile.”

“Whoa, guys, calm down, no need to get so intense here. Donnie, have you applied for another final date? You can still do that and have another shot at it, though they might change the objectives of the test since its a redo.” Akara's interjection brought some sense back into both the boys, who both restraightened themselves in their chairs.

“I hadn't thought of that,” came Donnie's eventual reply. “Sorry for snapping at you, Rork, I just haven't been having a very good day.”

“It's no biggie, I've seen you in much worse moods than that, and we're somehow still friends.” Rork's lips turned into a wry smile. “Remember that time when you asked Ilene if she would court you?”

“No! Don't bring that up again.” Donnie put his hands in front of his face, but his smile was still apparent in his voice.

Akara looked puzzled, “What? You liked Ilene?”

Rork just nodded as he continued, “She said that she didn't feel the same way about him, and he was so stung by those words that he was mopey for the next three months, and guess who had to put up with that attitude for the entirety of that time?”

“It's not my fault I'm horrible at telling what girls are feeling!” Donnie exploded in self-defense.

“You know, Donnie, for a Moku, you're really not that smart.” Apparently, Akara had a wicked sense of humor stuffed inside her somewhere.

At that point, another student, one whom Rork didn't recognize stopped by their table. “Yes?” Came Rork's welcome to the young girl.

The girl looked down as she said in a bashful voice “Umm, sorry for interrupting, but I was wondering if you might quiet it down a bit, the rest of us are trying to study for our finals.”

Rork turned bright red as he realized that all the eyes in the library were focused on their table. “Yeah, sorry, we'll keep it down.” Rork pulled his book up to cover his face, not wanting to draw anymore attention to himself than he had already brought upon himself.

(here, again, is the next segment of my wonderful creation, behold it in all it's beauty! Anyway, it's late, and I'm going to bed soon, after I eat some of my wife's amazing stir-fry! Yeah!  Again, feel free to comment on this, or other sections of my NaNoWriMo and other works, I do always enjoy hearing what everyone is thinking.  Peace!)

No comments:

Post a Comment