Sunday, August 14, 2011

Chapter Zero, how it all starts

"If I were to tell you that what I do is nothing special, would you believe me?  Sure, I can create fire, but so can anyone, just by rubbing two stones together.  Sure, I can heal wounds, but so can anyone with rest and time.  And yes, I may be able to travel through time, but we all do that really, just at a one second to one second ratio.    Simply put, nature has rules.  I don't break those rules, I just see the rules and understand how to bend them, to make them do as I will, instead of being stuck doing as they command.

"This is the basic rule of all magic, and as such it is my joy and privilege to welcome you all to the first year of your magical training!"  The wrinkled and white bearded man clothed in gray robes sat down in his tall, oaken chair in the middle of a long, wooden table filled with food, drink, and extremely expensive looking tableware.  Others were seated with him at the same table.  They all sat on the same side, which allowed them to look out at us without the need for turning.

We are the students at this school.  Though students is putting it nicely.  From what I've heard, we're nothing but slaves, or pawns in the plans that this man has for everything.

I was actually taken from my home just a few days ago.  It seems that puberty is the time when magic ability is most likely to begin expressing itself, and my parents and family were celebrating with great joy in our little cobblestone hut on our farm, for I had just recently become aware of my ability to bend reality.  The fire was warm in the fireplace, the snow was falling outside as it does in the winter months, and everyone was laughing and cheering as I made pieces of food dance around the table.

And that's when things happened.

The fire was suddenly snuffed out, Grandma, who was knitting and smiling only a second before let out a blood curdling cry as if someone had stabbed her several times.  Father and mother leapt out of their seats in an instant.  Father ran for his sword which was placed above the fireplace as a trophy of his days as a soldier, and mother, poor mother, ran to the window to see what was going on.  Unfortunately, she found a crossbow bolt to the skull was all she could report back to us as she staggered away from the smashed window that gave us all a start.

My twin younger sisters were already crying, and that  didn't cause the crying to quite down.  Without realizing what I was doing, I got up, and suddenly the whole world seemed to slow down.  I could think, I could think through what needed to happen.  Again, what happened next was all second nature, and I have no idea how I did it.  All I know is that My family needed to be protected, and I did just that.

It wasn't but an eye blink later that the house and everything, and everyone, in it had vanished.  I was left alone in the cold snow.  Surrounding me were dozens of men, with crossbows, swords, maces, and many other weapons all drawn and ready to attack. At this point, confused as I was, I decided to take action, I imagined every sort of terrible thing happening to these people who would dare attack my family.  Fire jumped from my fingers one moment, while the next moment would bring the satisfying squishing sound of someone's eyes.

It was at thins point that time caught up with me.  I was suddenly aware of how much energy I had used to make all these things happen.  As bolts and arrows flew around me as they resumed their initial trajectory, I fell to the ground, thoroughly exhausted.

(And thus ends the first section, let me know what you think, and if you have any ideas of where the adventure should go from here.  Peace!)

No comments:

Post a Comment