Thursday, August 18, 2011

To chapter Zero, and beyond!

The man looked up at me, as if surprised to see me there. "I'm so glad you could make it.  I was almost worried that you weren't going to be able to come."  A small smile crossed his lips as he said this.  "Now, you're probably wondering why your presence was requested.  Let's just say that I know the powers you posses, and I do really wish to see those powers come to fruition, so I've requested that you be put underneath my direct tutelage; now, seeing as I'm the librarian, this means that you have direct access to all the books in the room."

I had to keep my jaw from dropping at the thought of all these books being at my disposal.  All the knowledge stored therein could easily keep me entertained, and what's more, I might actually be able to learn something.

He continued.  "I thought you might like that, and by your semi-dumbfounded expression, I'd believe I was right.  Now, you will have your classes as normal, but I do expect to see you here everyday, at least to check in.  I'll also have some assignments for you from time to time, on top of your normal homework.  These will help you understand your own powers even better.  I think you and I are a lot alike."  He chuckled after that remark, and I honestly don't know why. "Now then, the first assignment I have for you is to read this book."  He handed me a thick text.  I leafed through the first couple of pages.  It was written in a language I didn't understand. 

"How am I to read something I don't understand?"  I was more than just a little frustrated at this point.

"Oh, don't worry, you'll find out soon enough, just remember that you have more than just your brain and knowledge at your disposal now."  Again, he chuckled as he walked off.  "Goodnight, and sleep well."

And just like that, I was whisked away by the arm again, back through the doors, and down the hallways and mazes, to the room where I originally woke up.  It was starting to get a little annoying.  Hopefully that wasn't the main form of transportation used in this school.  When I got to my bunk, I opened up the book to the first page.  Blech, this was going to be one heck of a reading assignment.

Other students started coming back to their bunks after I had just given up trying to decipher the language through sheer brain power.  It just wasn't making sense.  But worst of all was that I hadn't even thought of my family.  This sudden realization sent me into a brief panic.  I'm gone from my family, I'm in a weird place, a place with great potential for learning, but is it a place where I want to be?  I also only know about three people in the entire school, and no one really seems to be interested in helping me out, save that weird girl, and that really weird librarian.

I rolled over, and saw that the boy with whom I was walking earlier sitting in the bed next to me with his head bowed.  I tried to get his attention.  "Hey, I never did get your name."

Nothing happened.

"Hello?"

Still nothing.

I reached over and was about to touch him on the arm, when his head popped up, and he looked at me.  I jumped back from the shock of seeing his eyes emanate a red glow.  "Tristan isn't here right now," said a dark, super creepy voice, which seemed to come from the boy's mouth.

What have I gotten myself into?

No comments:

Post a Comment