Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Continuing on what appears to be chapter zero

As I snapped out of my inappropriately timed flash back, the old man started giving his speech, and my two new found acquaintances rushed to find seats.  I quickly took a seat next to them.  The speaker's phrasing flowed like any speaker I'd heard before, following the usual ups and downs, rises and falls, quietness and softness, but it wasn't until the last part of his speech that I took notice of what he was saying.  He wasn't doing anything special?  Of course what he was doing was special, he had the power to change his very surroundings with but a word.  Even I had witnessed this power first-hand on the night I was abducted.

"Throughout your stay here at our school," the man continued, "you will learn everything you need to know about magic.  And of course, it's all free for you.  Every day you will receive three meals, lodging, and of course, schooling.  The only thing I ask for in return is the chance to watch your growth in the understanding of the art of controlling the powers around you.  And with that thought, I leave you to rest for the night.  Be sure to sleep well, as your training starts tomorrow."

At that, the majority of students stood up, and walked out of the room with food in hand, anxious to get on with the rest of their evening.  It didn't take long for me to assume that these speeches were a fairly regular ordeal here, for the students who stayed behind to eat didn't really seem to care too much about what was said, and were more interested in talking about other things, like who the next winner of wand wrestling was going to be.

As I stood up to leave, I was whisked away by his arm.  Back down the entry hallway, through a seemingly endless maze of hallways, up stairs and down them.  And the worst part was that I couldn't move, I was stuck in this awkward position as my heels smacked against the uneven stones in the floor.  I didn't much recognize anything, there were generic statues that blended in with the walls, tapestries that ran along the floor that repeated the same pattern over, and over again.

After what seemed like half an hour, and many tastelessly designed hallways, I found myself in a room.  Not that this much surprised me, for rooms are quite commonly found in buildings, regardless of popular belief.  But this room was nicer than any other I'd seen during my short stay at this... place.  The room itself was huge, and it was filled with dark wooden shelves, which were completely filled with books.  The shelves took up so much space that it seemed like it would be quite the feat just to walk through the shelves without inadvertently bumping into anything, and it seemed one should hope that there wasn't another person to get in the way, because getting around them would be more difficult than trying to jump through a flaming hoop which was two inches too small for the jumper.

That's why I was surprised when I saw a man come through one of these passage ways.  It wasn't so much his presence that startled me, but the sheer size of the man.  He easily could have swallowed me whole and still had enough room in his belly for two or three more of me, and I don't mean he was tall.  He was fat, very, very fat.

(sorry for not posting yesterday everyone who's watching/reading [which isn't very many people right now, I know], but we [my wife and I] were having some issues with our ISP, and thus had our internet kicked out for sometime, and we just got it back today.  So yeah, again, please let me know what you guys would like to see happen, or if you find any blatant errors, or something like that.  Peace)

No comments:

Post a Comment